[opendtv] Re: Short answer to Bert

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OpenDTV (E-mail)" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 15:14:53 -0400

Bob Miller wrote:

> Agreed, content is king and I have my doubts about the
> Qualcomm venture but there will be mobile video and it
> will offer compelling content and people will watch it
> on cell phones.

Don't forget Vcast from Verizon. That exists already, so
you'll be able to gauge success, or lack thereof, of
handheld video services soon enough.

I have my doubts, especially past the wow-wee stage, but
whatever.

As to how best to transmit this stuff, I think that if
broadcasters think DVB-H over their *existing* DTT
channel is a good answer, I would quickly beg to differ.
As a separate DVB-H (or DMB-T or CDMA) channel dedicated
to handheld device transissions, probably that will work
fine.

The reason?

Take the typical Euro DTT channel. In all cases so far,
these have been dialed back to 16-QAM and 2/3 FEC to
achieve adequate coverage of their market area. It seems
to me there ain't a lot of extra margin there to support
the extra short antennas and mobility of handhelds. Even
if the DVB-H channel is modulated QPSK, my bet is that
the handheld coverage area would end up being
considerably smaller than the coverage extected of the
DTT signal on that same channel.

Aussies are achieving DTT market coverage with 64-QAM,
so they have more margin to play with for the handhelds.