[opendtv] Re: Let them eat cake (and ATSC while they're at it)

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OpenDTV (E-mail)" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 11:56:34 -0400

Tom Barry wrote:

> It is just beyond credibility to me that companies
> trying to license the 5th gen chip from LG are not
> given the needed info and allowed to analyze the only
> existing magically working receiver.

Not the only magically working receiver, but perhaps
the best one so far. I don't find that so surprising.
Why should LG give all its tricks away if it can get
others to make "adequate" boxes that aren't quite as
good as its own?

If LG can establish a reputation as being the best
receiver out there, but oh by the way you have to buy
the whole intergrated set (or PVR/DVDR) to achieve that
level of performance, would you find it surprising that
they would latch onto such a marketing strategy? I
think it's to be expected.

But the way I see it, if LG can do it, before too long
someone will have matched or beaten them. It wasn't
long ago that "we" were all claiming 8-VSB would never
work, remember? Do we need to continue being myopic?

> I also cannot believe that Congress is willing to
> make a lot of noise about finishing the transition
> and yet will not officially ask these questions of LG,
> accepting instead a plastic mockup being waved in the
> air.

Congress has the primary goal of getting the transition
over with, to auction off spectrum. If no more than 15
percent of congressmen use OTA TV anyway, is it so
surprising that they'll take the manufacturers' word
that existing receivers are adequate? "Let's just get
it over with" is probably more what they feel.=20

Besides which, where DTT has been deployed successfully,
it IS NOT received in any universally bullet-proof way,
with mere paper clips for antennas, down in concrete
basements. It is, on the contrary, more often received
with the help of professional antenna installations. So
there's no reason to think that Congress would feel
compelled to mandate the LG prototype as minimum
acceptable performance, I don't think.