[opendtv] Re: STATEWIDE DTV TEST

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 16:10:28 -0800

Dan;

You can't just shunt transmitter output, or you will burn out the
transmitter's final power tube or transistor array in a flash  Some stations
- but not a whole lot - have dummy loads, which provide about the same
impedance as an antenna load, and stations with circulators (also somewhat
rare) or other rf switches can direct the output to their dummy load.

However, it's much simpler to unplug the input to the analog transmitter, in
which case the station will be transmitting "snow", or turning off the
transmitter, which means there is real snow.  Some transmitters will cause
transmission of "snow" in the absence of sync signals.

Some can tell the difference in the quality of the snow when their
transmitter is off-air versus actively creating "snow."  In my experience,
the contrast range in the snow is significantly less and the "grain" is
bigger when the transmitter is "snowing."  It's the difference between white
noise and pinkish noise.

One can even detect the difference between an FM station that is off-air (no
sound) and one where the carrier is present, but no audio signal
(transmission noise only.)

John Willkie

  _____