[opendtv] Re: STATEWIDE DTV TEST

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2008 17:18:32 -0800

San Diego stations are scheduled for a demo tonight at 6:58 p.m.  Not sure
if I will tear myself away from work to look into it.

However, for the lion's share of cable customers, information on an analog
channel won't get through.  Analog cable signals come out of digital input
here.  I even have recent data that establishes this.

The other night, I was watching KFMB-TV (CBS) on cable tv.  I noticed an
interfering signal on the same channel (either the cable within the house or
the television set, and I've been meaning to climb under this house to put
in a modern cable run.)

Then, I noticed that the interfering analog signal was leading the cable
feed by 5-6 seconds: bold graphics for "Marley & Me" ads would appear during
the blackouts for the surrounding program.  Pure and simple, there is only
one possible explanation: the analog cable television signal is derived from
digital input, and the analog-digital encoding (at the station, about 4
seconds) and the digital-analog 'decoding' at the cable head-end was causing
the temporal delta.

I'm not sure why this problem showed up in the last week, but I suspect that
the aging cable run was compromised more than normal by water migration;
'global warming' has caused cold winter rains, and it was raining Monday
night.

John Willkie