[opendtv] Re: STATEWIDE DTV TEST

  • From: Albert Manfredi <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 00:59:36 -0500

Cliff Benham wrote:

> Ch 6 in Philly just did a two minute test with a
> 'fail' message on the analog channel to allow
> people to check all their TVs.
>
> The problem with CH A6 is that they will ultimately
> return from D64 to D6 at the end of the transition
> in ??several years. Right now I can only get a very
> bad analog CH6 with a deep fringe antenna 37 miles
> from their tower. I wonder if I'll get /anything/
> when they return to Ch 6 as digital?

I didn't think you had a VHF antenna, though?

I'd worry too. Especially because WPVI analog, on Ch 6, is transmitting an ERP
of 74.1 KW, whereas in digital, they are scheduled for 7.56 KW, on the same
tower. That's a 9.9 dB reduction in power. If analog reception is very bad now,
it seems dicey for digital with such a power drop.

That's also my concern here, with the two local and two Balt channels going
back to VHF. I'm certainly not counting on getting the Balt channels any
longer. The power drop in these markets, compared with their analog VHF, is
even bigger than you have to deal with there.