[opendtv] Re: Let them eat cake (and ATSC while they're at it)

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 08:35:29 -0400

At 6:01 PM -0700 5/17/05, John Willkie wrote:
>capitalism was born in the US?  Kind of funny to say that, especially when
>comparing the United Kingdom, the home of Adam Smith and the Unseen Hand ...
>
>Capitalistic broadcasting was largely born in the U.S., however.

We have never had "Capitalistic Broadcasting" in the U.S.

It has ALWAYS been an OLIGOPOLY with heavy government regulation, as
is the case for most utilities.

What we have had is the illusion of an independent media and the
illusion that TV in the U.S. is FREE.

I prefer the PRAVDA model - at least in the old Soviet Union people
knew that TV was a government propaganda machine.

The first and most important step in establishing any propaganda
mechanism is to build TRUST, and that is exactly what happened during
the Golden Age of Television in the U.S.

There is an alternative - IGNORANCE.

Haile Selassie, the King and later Dictator of Ethiopia, used
television to elevate himself to the level of a god. His assumed name
means: "Might of the Trinity." He put a TV in every village and went
to Paris to produce a slick opening segment for the Ethiopian Evening
News. Every night he would walk down out of the clouds (a chroma key)
then sit at a desk and deliver the kool-aid. The villagers, with no
frame of reference for the wonders of TV and media literacy drank the
kool-aid.