[opendtv] Re: Fw: Re: Post on alt.tv.tech.hdtv of interest today

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 07:14:50 -0400

>Of course. And you can create medium stick SFNs or medium
>stick translators throughout the country, with that
>approach. But then, if you want to use this phrase "well
>designed infrastructure," you have to DESCRIBE this
>system. Not just one small part of it.

As we have done MANY times Bert.

No two markets are the same in terms or area covered, geography, or
population distribution.

You begin by defining the market's geographic coverage area, in the
context of NOT INTERFERING with adjacent markets. You then determine
where the population concentrations are, including sub-markets where
you may want unique localized channels, and how best to provide
reliable coverage to these sub markets. You then design the
transmission network to get the job done.

As we have said MANY TIMES before, you will use a mixture of high
powered, medium powered and low powered transmitters depending on the
area to be covered and market-into market interference issues.

In congested areas like the NE corridor you will use more medium and
low powered transmitters; in more rural markets that are
geographically isolated you can use big high powered sticks for the
mains.

>All I'm saying here is that a system of medium stick SFNs
>around Manhattan does not replace what you have there
>today. It will leave a lot of communities without a viable
>OTA signal from their major market stations. So if you
>suggest this medium stick SFN for Manhattan (and
>Phildelphia), you have to explain the rest of it. That's
>what I did with the Baltimore example. Only then will
>you know whether your ideas are feasible.

For once Bert is right. A properly designed SFN would not replace
what New York has today; it would improve upon it. Obviously you need
to define the transmission network for the entire market Bert, not
just the core. Of particular importance to the New York market is the
FACT that it contains SO MANY economically important sub-markets.
With a properly designed SFN all of these sub markets would have
access to localized content IN ADDITION to the handful of market-wide
channels they have today. You cannot do that with Big Stick NTSC or
ATSC.

>Moorestown NJ was just an example of a community that
>sits between two major markets. We can drive up and down
>I-95 or 295 and see a continuum of such communities
>between Phila and NYC.

Sorry Bert, but Moorestown is in the suburban fringe of the
Philadelphia market; it is NOT part of the New York market.

Clearly there is a line of demarcation between the New York and
Philadelphia markets. The cable systems must obey this geographic
definition of the markets, providing the local stations for ONLY the
one to which a community is assigned. Unfortunatley both NTSC and
ATSC transmissions DO NOT obey these geographic limits, which is the
main cause of the pathetic spectral re-use we "enjoy" when major
markets are closely spaced.