[opendtv] Re: Democrats Air Concerns About Analog Switchover

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 14:30:06 -0800

Gee, everybody else is telling me that MHEG was dead on arrival, and is
dying more and more every day.  I think you might benefit from actually
seeing the dearth of MHEG applications in Europe today.

I seriously doubt that OCAP/ACAP/GEM was being developed while you were
working on ATSC projects.  Even if they were, the fact that they now have a
common subclass where each operates definitely did not exist then: it was
only announced for the first time two years ago at the Tech Retreat.

And, "being developed" is a lot different than "working" well. Together.

There is at least one multi-vendor A/90 ACAP/OCAP/GEM field trial going on
today, but I've probably already said too much.  When I talk to other
vendors, they ask "will this be something that really happens, or will it be
like MHEG?"

You and Mark are clearly incorrect about AC-3 receivers being not fully
compliant with the A/52 spec.  Everything about permitting multiple audio
streams to be rendered in receivers was made optional.  While 0 receivers
provide this service, every receiver that does not is fully compliant with
the spec; they just don't live up to the potential of what AC-3 can offer.

At least we now have products that handle the dialnorm issue.

If you think that captions work was "completed" years ago, you are likely to
be surprised in coming months.  Due to non-disclosure requirements of one or
more groups in which I participate, I can comment no further.

I can say that the CEA-608-C spec is a horrible hodge-podge borne of the
necessity to maintain compatibility with legacy units.

The real world caption situation is troubled, to say the least, due to
screwy combinations of "optional" requirements in A/65 that are
countermanded by mandatory requirements in CEA-608 and 708, and the very
mandatory requirements of the FCC, which has the power to impose fines and
"gets" $20K or more for missing captions in certain situations.

Wanna have fun?  Try to switch caption streams in real-time with
frame-accurate results, while maintaining compliance with MPEG-2, A/65,
A/53, CEA-608 and -708.  Can you be blamed for the mess? :-)