[opendtv] Re: Democrats Air Concerns About Analog Switchover

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 17:02:40 -0500

Tom Barry wrote:

> I think we have mostly reached consensus on this list that
> broadcasters have demonstrated zero intention of promoting
> the transition. However I'll wager we may eventually see them
> help promote the calls for a further delay.

I agree with you there, and also that the same holds in Europe too.
Politicians everywhere are leery of shutting off analog TV. Except in
Germany, where they figured that at the 9 percent usage level, they'd
take the heat.

I really have no idea what difference the majority political party in
Congress would make wrt this transition. The Democrats seem to have
immediately latched onto increasing the use of public money for the
transition, as is their habit, but that aside, what's the diff? I don't
think there is any difference.

If you really stretch credulity, I suppose one might believe that an
internationalist (read lefty Democrat) would tend to favor switching to
DVB-T, just because it's supposed to be adopted by more other countries.
Whereas a more conservative "God And Country" right winger might prefer
All-Amurrican ATSC. But really, that's a stretch.

Although in the late '60s, in Italy, just such a scenario did play out,
on adoption of a color standard. The lefties were favoring the commie
SECAM system, used by the Soviets (and the French). I just don't see any
political understones in this DTT transition here, however.