[opendtv] Re: Democrats Air Concerns About Analog Switchover

  • From: "Bob Miller" <robmxa@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2006 09:18:09 -0500

You are right. I did have an opportunity to test COFDM at Mark's
apartment in 1999 when we were using a 100 Watt transmitter from 22
miles out on Long Island from a 300 ft tower in the direction of
Manhattan.

At the time I didn't know Mark. Never met him. The controversy had
just started, his apartment was not the Mecca it became and we were in
deep stealth mode thinking we had some kind of big secret, COFDM, that
for some reason which totally baffelled us, the US broadcast industry
had no clue about. We thought it was all over when we heard about
Sinclair and their Baltimore test. We thought any advantage we had
with our business plan went right out the window because it seemed
obvious that US broadcasters would glam on to COFDM like flies on
honey and that what we were proposing would become obvious.

We only did this test in the early morning between 4 am and 7 am and
were never on the air more than an hour. We were just driving around
in wonder that we were getting any signal at all. We drove on Central
Park West and up and down side streets over there one of which was
Mark's.

And you are right it probably would not have worked in Mark's
apartment but not because of mulitpath. It would have been signal
strength. Reception was on and off on the West Side. It worked on the
East/West side streets but not on the Avenues North South. Same as
when we were broadcasting from the AT&T building. We could receive the
signal on the avenues north of Midtown on the East and West side but
not in Central Park or on the side streets north of Midtown. This was
all signal strength.

Bob Miller

On 11/18/06, John Willkie <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Bob, you can prattle and you can whine and try to confuse people who weren't
around years ago.

YOU are one of the people who never had the nerve -- and had the chance --
to try ofdm reception at Mark's apartment.  You also said that you did try
to receive the signal on the street in front of his apartment.

Why, after trying to get it there, didn't you call on Mark?

As to your new assertions, you had the chance before.  You want a different
and better chance now.

John Willkie

P.S. I take more than a bit of umbrage about you calling my recitation of
facts admitted by you to be bullshit.  I am an engineer, Bob.  I deal in
real data, not wishful thinking.  You are a proponent and are not an
engineer.