[opendtv] Re: Democrats Air Concerns About Analog Switchover

  • From: Mark Aitken <maitken@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 17:11:59 -0500

I take it a consensus does NOT have to match the thoughts and intents and wishes of ALL those involved? There are some Broadcasters that continue to demonstrate a "more than zero" intention.

Tom Barry wrote:
I think we have mostly reached consensus on this list that broadcasters have demonstrated zero intention of promoting the transition. However I'll wager we may eventually see them help promote the calls for a further delay.

- Tom

Craig Birkmaier wrote:
At 11:04 PM -0500 11/16/06, Tom Barry wrote:

Yes, but it is worrisome since they may insist on delaying the transition if cheap workable converter boxes are not available for everyone by 2 years from now. We really don't need that.

The FCC was authorized to open up the market for Cable set-top boxes in the early '90s. The cable industry just asked for yet another extension...

This was a program that was designed to fail.

It is interesting however, that the Dems are concerned that $5 million is inadequate to promote the transition and the availability of these boxes. One wonders why the broadcasters could not handle the promotional chores. After all, they just took in nearly $2 BILLION from the politicians in the recent election cycle...

<>   ><>   ><>   ><>   ><>   ><>   ><>
Regards,
Mark A. Aitken
Director, Advanced Technology
<><   <><   <><   <><   <><   <><   <><
===================================
Sinclair Broadcast Group
10706 Beaver Dam Road
Hunt Valley, MD 21030
===================================

"As far as the laws of mathematics
refer to reality, they are not certain,
and as far as they are certain,
they do not refer to reality."

------- Albert Einstein-------

===================================

"I like nonsense—it wakes up the brain cells.
Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living.
It's a way of looking at life through the
wrong end of a telescope...and that enables
you to laugh at all of life's realities."

~ ~ Theodor S. Geisel, a.k.a. "Dr. Seuss" ~ ~

Business TEL: (410) 568-1535
Business MOBILE: (443) 677-4425
Business FAX: (410) 568-1580
E-mail: maitken@xxxxxxxxxx