[opendtv] Re: Analysis: Broadcast's $1 Billion Pot of Gold

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2008 09:17:53 -0400

At 12:38 PM -0400 7/8/08, Cliff Benham wrote:
Craig Birkmaier wrote:
 the nation's 93.5 million homes that
subscribe to extended basic cable are paying about $2 BILLION per month to watch TV programming filled with ads...

Yes, but what they are actually paying for are better, clearer pictures and more program sources than available through their 25 year old dilapidated outdoor antenna and twin-lead.

Not really.

We pay $49.99 PLUS TAXES for standard analog cable (e.g. expanded basic). That means that almost $28 per month goes to Cox Cable, while the other $22 per month goes to the companies that are charging subscriber fees.

The money that goes to Cox is paying for better, clearer pictures and the infrastructure that provides more program choice. Limited basic customers pay only $14.99 per month for this but only get about 21 channels, some of which are not available OTA.

Virtually ALL of the additional channels in the extended basic tier charge subscriber fees. Obviously Cox is making more off of an extended basic customer, some of which may be paying for programing - I have no way of knowing.

What I do know is that I am paying subscriber fees for channels that I NEVER watch, and I am watching commercials on channels for which I am paying a subscriber fee.

The $2 billion per month I wrote about goes directly to the companies that provide the content that is filled with ads...

If you add in the rest of the cost of extended basic cable U.S. consumers are paying nearly $5 billion per month to watch TV channels crammed full of ads.