[opendtv] Re: Analysis: Broadcast's $1 Billion Pot of Gold

  • From: dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 12:42:34 -0700

"He was undercapitalized.  He lacked effective distribution..."

Exactly.  Doesn't this apply to small media outlets as well?

"Oh, you’re talking about a Porsche with automatic transmission.  What an
absurd notion!"

Perhaps you don't like it, but they sell.  I merely was saying it is idea
that is working for other manufacturers.

Dan

"John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: opendtv-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
07/10/2008 10:33 AM
Please respond to
opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

<opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
[opendtv] Re: Analysis: Broadcast's $1 Billion Pot of Gold

Dan;

It sounds to me that your knowledge of Tucker came from a movie.

He was undercapitalized.  He lacked effective distribution – something the
majors got right by about 1928 – he had only a few sellers.

He had some innovative ideas and a rather interesting product, but had no
warranty/repair infrastructure (or payments to dealers for such) and he
had more than a few glitches.

It’s true that when he could get cars to dealers, they sold.  Of course,
no new cars had been sold in the U.S. for more than 6 years.  Did I
mention that his pricing was so low that he didn’t make enough money on
the cars to handle the items he needed in the third sentence?

He may have been ahead of his time but he was way ahead of his money.

The Edsel wasn’t a race car, and wasn’t capable of turning like a Porsche.
 I know just a bit about 911 Porsches; my late father owned one or another
from 1973 through 2004.  Never saw one with push-button transmission.  Oh,
you’re talking about a Porsche with automatic transmission.  What an
absurd notion!

How do you support today’s small media players?  Have you ever watched
UCSD-TV?  (Available on EchoStar?)  RFD-TV?  The Outdoor Channel?  How
about Versus (currently showing ‘Le Tour?’)

Don’t let your rhetoric get ahead of your head.

John Willkie