[opendtv] Re: Analysis: Broadcast's $1 Billion Pot of Gold

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 13:02:27 -0400

Dan Grimes wrote:

> Media available to and media consumed by people have the
> utmost social importance, affects and consequenses.

Agreed, of course. You're perfectly entitled to your opinions. To say
otherwise is too dumb to even discuss.

On this cable bundle discussion, it's IMO a perfect example of how the
marketplace SHOULD be allowed to operate. Given that there are a few
alternatives, I don't think there's a reason for the govt to force
anything down cable's throat.

And also, if the buying public shows very little "demand elasticity,"
the business in question will have very little reason to change its
(presumably carefully calculated) formula for optimized profits. If more
people did as Tom did, I'm sure the cablecos would adjust their
packages. Although I seriously doubt the average consumer would end up
paying any less!

On the other hand, I feel differently when I see clearly
anti-competitive forces at work. Such as, XM Radio offered as standard
equipment, but HD Radio not even offered as an option. Which happened to
me. (Although John Shutt may be correct that this is about to change.)
So IMO, govt stepping in to prevent anti-competitive practices is a
legit function of he govt.