[opendtv] Re: Analysis: Broadcast's $1 Billion Pot of Gold

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 13:02:39 -0700

Even undercapitalized full-service television stations get must-carry.
Better capitalized ones (actually, ones with higher-value content, mostly)
get slightly better distribution via retrans consent, and sometimes money.

Channel position might be better with the latter case, but that is very much
unlike an undercapitalized car maker with a supply chain barking back at
him.

I think John Shutt properly defined the market for automatic-transmission
Porsches a few weeks back; sugar daddies buying them for their nubile young
models.  I can hear a Porsche a block away, around the corner, with the wind
against me.  I see (and hear) women shifting them all the time, so I suspect
these are women buyers, not second or third wives.

This may not be immediately apparent to those who haven't driven a Porsche.
First, you don't drive using the speedometer, but the tach.  You just keep
it below the clearly-marked redline (7000 rpm, in my experience).  If you do
that, you recognize that you can do 0-60 (or so) in first gear, 20-80 in
second, 30-110 or so in third, and I was never to get one above 135, but I
could do that in 4th and 5th.  Even with their highly-regarded automatic
transmission, you don't get that breadth.  Also, experienced Porsche drivers
know that the manual transmission is great for braking/deaccel.

If you want to drive around showing that "I can afford a Porsche", then
automatic will do that, making the trip to the 7-11 something you can do
with one arm.  If you want to DRIVE, only the 5-speec (actually, I think the
newer models have a 6-speed and a higher top speed) will do.

I love to DRIVE.

Once, on a Wendy rural road, with my buddy in the passenger  seat, I
momentarily lost control of the steering in my dad's first 911 (2.4 liter).
My buddy was "kind of surprised" when I punched the gas.  Having been warned
by my father, I knew this would solve the instability.  And, it worked.  If
you don't want that ability, the automatic transmission is 'just fine."

 Anyway, we're veering (smile) widely off-topic.  And, I have work to do.  I
can't wait to see what fresh hell bert cooks up.

John Willkie

  _____