[opendtv] Re: Analysis: Broadcast's $1 Billion Pot of Gold

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 10:49:17 -0700

John;

Actually, many tv shows today do support themselves on a fully-barter basis.
That's generally the norm.

Oprah, and (I assume you are correct) Judge Judy charge barter plus license
fee because they can.  However, I don't believe that Judge Judy gets a
license fee in all markets.  Oprah does -- her show has been around for
decades, starting when barter was rare and added it later.

In San Diego, the station that paid for Dr. Phil (with a very heavy
commercial load, by the way) ended up getting Oprah from the only station
that had ever carried it.  I assume that was part of the deal.  So, not all
consideration is cash or barter.

They charge it if (and where) they can get it.

John Willkie

From: "Craig Birkmaier" <craig@xxxxxxxxx>