[lit-ideas] Re: Superman Returns

  • From: Carol Kirschenbaum <carolkir@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2006 17:43:43 -0700

It refers to physical death of the human organism. Quite mechanistic, the book
describes the "how" of the human death process. The organism needs certain
mechanisms to occur, in certain functional organs, for its ongoing survival.
When some vital mechanisms are damaged or destroyed, the organism struggles,
putting extra stress on other organs and systems, etc. The book gives a glimpse
into medical thinking. It's not meant to be uplifting, imo, but it's important.

Carol K.

        Date: 7/3/06 8:45:04 A.M. Central Daylight Time
        From: pas@xxxxxxxx
        To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
        Sent on:

  At 04:21 AM 7/3/2006, you wrote:
  >It seems to me Alzheimer's can be a cause of death; admittedly
  >the proximate cause would be starvation (some prefer to call it
  >dehydration) and admittedly also once someone is that weak, an
  >infection that would not normally be fatal, is.  Still, I'd be
  >inclined to say Alzheimer's was a cause.

  Sherwin B. Nuland's wonderful "how we die" outlines the four basic
  ways a person dies. That's it. Sounds morbid, but it's a very good book.

  [insert pithy quote here]
  Paul Stone
  pas@xxxxxxxx
  Leamington, ON. Canada