[lit-ideas] Superman Returns

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 18:31:43 -0700

A lurker sent me the following review of the subject movie:
http://www.libertyfilmfestival.com/libertas/?p=1659

The review pans the movie, but the responses to the review are also
interesting and put it in perspective.  The reviewer takes on the whole
super-hero genre and not just Superman, but some of the responders argue
convincingly that many of the earlier movie heroes were super-heroes as
well.

I have occasionally ordered some movie or series I watched as a kid and have
invariably been disappointed.  I can recall going to the Saturday matinees
and seeing Serials that struck me as tremendously exciting.  I ordered
several of them not so long ago and found them awful.  I haven't been
impressed with any of the modern Superman, Batman, Shadow, Phantom,
Daredevil or Spiderman movies.  I have to watch all this junk because I
liked the comic books when I was a kid, but maybe I'll skip Batman Returns.
. .  The animation in the Hulk was interesting but not the acting or story
line - IMO.

Someone for reasons unclear seems to have recommended reading The Constant
Gardener.  I have in the past been enough interested in a movie to read the
book it was based upon, but The Constant Gardener doesn't fall into that
category.

Lawrence