[lit-ideas] Re: Superman Returns

  • From: Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2006 10:56:38 -0700 (PDT)

There's this and there is that. It's a bit of a
stereotype in China that you should never ask
Westerners about their age and marital status, since
it's a "secret". What I usually say to my students is
don't ask, wait for them to tell you, or something in
those lines. In Chinese culture it's certainly
acceptable to ask for anyone's age, but quite often
people give false answers I suspect. (Especially
women; gender difference really needs to be kept in
mind here, as in Chinese society the woman is still
supposed to be 5 to 10 years younger than the man.)
Personally, as I approaching my 36th birthday I am
beginning to learn to give sincere-sounding yet false
answers to such questions; there didn't seem to be any
problem until a couple of years ago but now being 35
or 6 and single (well, divorced but you don't always
want to go into that) is beginning to raise some
suspicions.

It is also true that there are increasing numbers of
Chinese people (again, especially women) who obviously
diet, exercise, use make-up and so on, in contrast to
many Westerners who... well don't seem to bother with
any of these things. I think that we are seeing the
effects of globalization on both sides of the Great
Divide. Is that good or bad, I wouldn't know. (I'll
assume that it's probably bad though.)

O.K.