[lit-ideas] Re: Superman Returns

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2006 12:13:57 -0700

But you can't know that you won't joke about dementia when you get as old as
I because you aren't that old yet.  You are merely in the category of the
non-soldier, non-mortician, and non-old.

My mother died of dementia as well.  I know a number of people who "fear
it," but they nevertheless joke about it, e.g., their "senior moments."
And now that I think about it, surely it is healthier to joke about an
imagined threat than to fear it.   In some cases fear and worry can bring
about, as a self-fulfilled prophecy, the thing worried about and feared - at
least I encountered that argument while studying Mark Twain in my youth, esp
Roughing It.

Lawrence

  _____