[lit-ideas] Re: Superman Returns

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2006 11:36:13 -0400

http://www.newyorker.com/shouts/content/?060703sh_shouts

----- Original Message -----
From: Mike Geary
To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: 7/2/2006 12:18:44 AM
Subject: [lit-ideas] Re: Superman Returns

> But the target demographic (otherwise known as
> "the paying audience") is teenage boys...
> Hollywood movies aren't made with you in mind. Actually, none of us on this
> list,
> not even Erin.

True, Erin is no longer a teenage boy, but some movies were definitely made for
her.  For instance, there's the highly acclaimed life of Schopenhauer,  _I'm
miserable, therefore I am._  It ran for 3 solid days in a theater in Dresden.
And, of course, there's the fictional documentary of the life of Cioran:
_Alienation, Absurdity, Boredom, Futility, Decay, the Tyranny of History, the
Vulgarities of Change, Awareness As an Agony, Reason As Disease._  which played
for at least 30 minutes in Cannes is right down Erin's alley.  I think you're
very wrong to sell Erin short as a demographic.

Mike Geary
Memphis