[lit-ideas] Re: Superman Returns

  • From: Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2006 03:06:00 -0700 (PDT)

--- Andy Amago <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

He also complains, appropriately, I think,
> that the characters are too young-looking for the
> part.   They probably are, but that might be in
> large part because movies today are made with an eye
> toward world, rather than U.S. consumption.  Most of
> the world (especially the developing world) are
> obsessed with youth.  In a lot of the world, once
> you turn 30 you enter the realm of the living dead
> for the rest of your living dead life.

*I find this rather puzzling. I would have thought
that it is the modern cultures that tend to emphasize
youth and physical looks, while traditional cultures
tend to place more value on maturity and social
accomplishments. This is no doubt a generalization but
I am still surprized that you would assert the
opposite with such certainty.

O.K.

http://mail.yahoo.com