[lit-ideas] Re: Superman Returns

  • From: "Andreas Ramos" <andreas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2006 10:43:22 -0700

Most of
the world (especially the developing world) are
obsessed with youth.  In a lot of the world, once
you turn 30 you enter the realm of the living dead
for the rest of your living dead life.

Is this projection on Irene's part?

From what I saw in Bangalore (www.andreas.com/india.html), there is no youth culture like in California. Indian culture is middle-age centric, both in age and activities. Everyone wants to be a married, settled, professional with children. It's no exaggeration to say that many Indians in their mid-20s are already middle-aged.

However, the US is the only country that I know where youth is obsessively
idealized.

But there is a reason for this. It's not America's youths who create or maintain this. They are clueless about this. Furthermore, they don't have the power to implement this. Similar to the discussion about Hollywood's marketing and revenues strategy, youth-centricity is a marketing method: youths buy a great deal of consumer goods, so create consumer goods for youths and then praise youths for buying those goods.

"Youth-centricity" is a result of marketing. It is designed and managed by
35-45 year olds.

Why are the weak, frail, and elderly (i.e., those over 28) ignored in the US? Because, quite simply, they don't buy. Look at demographics correlated to buying. Once they reach 45, they literally drop off the charts. Don't even waste your marketing money on people over 45. They don't buy.

(Of course, if the product is for people over 45, then yes, spend on that. Wheelchairs, oxygen tanks, etc.)

I'm not being reductionist ("it's all marketing"). But these particular issues (movies, shopping, pop culture, etc.) happen to be the results of marketing. Many people tend to think that popular culture is created by itself, but it's not. It's created, designed, planned, and propagated by marketing people.

yrs,
andreas
www.andreas.com