[lit-ideas] Re: Superman Returns

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2006 15:45:38 -0400

If it's any comfort, statistically the odds against your getting Alzheimers are
in your favor.  Only a small percentage of people get it.  If you're exercising
your brain and body and keeping blood pressure and blood sugar under control
and going heavy on the deeply colored fruits and vegetables, you really should
be fine.  There no doubt are some changes going on, but most likely they're
relatively minor and normal.  Just a guess, obviously, but it's possible that
lapses that would at one time have gone unnoticed are now being put under a
magnifying glass.  Also, it's my standby but it's true, focusing on a worry
such as Alzheimer's is sometimes a way of distracting one's self away from
internal anxieties, a variation on obsessing about Islamists (or pornography,
etc. etc.).  All obsessions amount to the same thing.  It's really what racism
is about, distracting one's self from one's self.  And there's nothing wrong
with having internal anxieties.  It just proves you have a
 belly button.  Hurting someone because of one's anxieties is the problem.  I
appreciate your kind words about my post.  You see?  Leftists are not so
objectionable after all.
For Omar, people start lying about their age later here. It's also acceptable
for a woman to be the same age or even older than a man.  Some don't lie at
all, and celebrities can't get away with lying.  I find it encouraging that the
Rolling Stones are still doing concerts; Barbara Walters is in her 70's; Mike
Wallace in his 80's (I think he just retired) among many other examples.
That's a wonderful, encouraging step forward for civilization.  We need a lot
more of it.  I think the Simpsons creators can stop and think before writing
their retarded age jokes.  They're mocking themselves unless they're so
immature that they think time exists for everyone but them.  Regarding people
exercising, mostly they don't. 60% of Americans are overweight or obese.  For
the first time our life expectancy has gone down.  Even so, we're still way
ahead of "traditional" societies even if we're overweight.  I wouldn't want to
live anywhere else.