[lit-ideas] Re: Superman Returns

  • From: Carol Kirschenbaum <carolkir@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2006 17:04:18 -0700

ck: Most MDs put the literal cause of death (not the underlying illness) on
the death certificate. For example, my father had been suffering from heart
disease, which led to his death--of renal (kidney) failure, at the very end.

Official cause of death: Renal failure.

My mother and I were quite surprised at this, btw. I gather it's a matter of
the county's or hospital's policy--or, perhaps, the attending doctor's
preference. How meaningful is this? Satisfies the insurance companies, I
guess.

Carol

Carol