[lit-ideas] Re: Superman Returns

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2006 09:05:48 -0400

I didn't see the movie and have no desire to.  The reviewer mourns days of
"real men" who could take a punch.  That seems to be a longing for the old days
in the schoolyard, i.e., reflects the reviewer's own immaturity, but maybe my
leftist standards are too high.  He also complains, appropriately, I think,
that the characters are too young-looking for the part.   They probably are,
but that might be in large part because movies today are made with an eye
toward world, rather than U.S. consumption.  Most of the world (especially the
developing world) are obsessed with youth.  In a lot of the world, once you
turn 30 you enter the realm of the living dead for the rest of your living dead
life.  The "truth, justice and everything that's good" speaks for itself
regarding how the U.S. is now viewed in the world.