[lit-ideas] Re: Superman Returns

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2006 06:21:01 -0700

I guess I did some unconscious translating of what you said because I
thought the movie was first and foremost a love story.  That was one of the
problems I had with Fiennes character.  He was moping after his dead wife
instead of paying attention to the problem.   When he hands the evidence to
the pilot I got the impression that he didn?t really care whether the pilot
mailed it or not.  He didn?t want to confront his wife?s assassins.  He
wanted to die by them so he could be with his wife ? a Hollywood cliché,
i.e., the vivid memory of the wife that no one in reality could possess --
IMO.

So to be personal and more accurate in response to your comment, I might ask
why I, who thought the movie first and foremost a love story, but not a very
good or believable love story, read the book which emphasized the love story
(presumably) more than the movie.

Lawrence