[openbeos] Re: scheduler/reminder

  • From: "Michael Phipps" <mphipps1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 20:50:28 -0400

>> > Myself and Michael are still discusing the GUI stuff offlist ;-)
>>
>>     Share with us! :-)
>
>Not a lot of progess really, we both recognise we both have reasonable
>arguments (but mine are more reasonable :-))

You know, isn't that odd...
My copies of those emails show that my arguements are *far* more reasonable.
:-) :-) :-)
Actually, for those interested, what we have spent most of our time talking
about is how to "market" R1 and, in fact, if we should name it that.

To sum up Simon's side (if I may be so bold): We have one chance to have a
first release. It should be something really great. Go ahead and make an R5
compatible version, just don't call it R1.

To sum up my side: R1 is a fine name. Everyone expects OSS projects to start
with a 1.0 release that is not super feature rich. Our R1 should be miles ahead
of R5 (something that Simon would like me to trumpet more) with mmap,
networking in kernel, more drivers, etc. R2 and (more likely) R3 will be the
releases to shout about.

>>     :-) You might say that's me! :-)
>>     You are right Simon, a *smart* developer would write a script in
>> about
>> an hour saving 3 months for work. [Don't forget, I was talking about
>> GUI
>> apps!]
>>     A *good* developer would realize that scripting with CLI apps is
>> wrong
>> and use those 3 months to do it's product competitive.
>>     You think I'm wrong? Look at the percentage of GUI apps using
>> scripting
>> with CLI apps versus the ones that use modules!
>
>You're correct for most apps, and certainly for large apps.
>But some are fine with CLI - I can't see how TrackerGrep would be
>improved my using modules instead of CLI.

Code is code is code.
I will bet that I can make a calculator program that calls out to "bc" and even
"dc" for crazy RPN types and you would never know it. Or a spell checker that
calls out to "dict". Etc. Reuse is a good thing, be it C++ objects or shell
commands. What really matters (and this is, I think, what you are getting at)
is how it is presented to the user. Look at Calah. DBG wrote it, IIRC. It is a
GUI interface to a CLI app. You would *NEVER* know that to look at it.