[openbeos] [Off-list] Re: Re: using code form FreeBSD/OpenBSD

  • From: Scott Mansfield <thephantom@xxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 14:11:46 -0700

Hello Phil,

Over the past few months I've noticed several mentions of needing command-line tools (yesterday's lengthy thread between Adi and I notwithstanding). Because of my jobs is to maintain an embedded Linux distro I've got a lot of experience in this area, a very intimate knowledge of autoconf/automake, and a decent understanding of the GNU software roadmap.

Right now I'm working the ScreenSaver kit with Andrew but have some spare cycles for the next couple of weeks while he re-orients himself w/his old code. Is this something you need help with? Is there anything I can do?

Cheers,
Scott

On Monday, Sep 22, 2003, at 13:46 America/Los_Angeles, Sikosis wrote:

We actually encourage this sort of behaviour :)

There are lots of little command line bin apps in the Pref Team that can benefit
from this.

Cheers

Sikosis
OBOS Pref Team Leader
http://obos.gravity24hr.com/
http://openbeos.org/

Quoting Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

"Jan-Rixt Van Hoye" <janvanhoye@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I've a little question to all of you openbeos people. I'm now busy
with
the development of some applications. Many people/developers say
that you may not reinvent the wheel, so I could use code from FreeBSD
or OpenBSD (for usr.bin applications)and adapt it for OpenBeOs.
Now is my question: May I use code from FreeBSD or OpenBSD or do I
have to make everything from scratch?

As long as the original license is retained, you may use code from one of the BSDs or even from GNU, depending on what you do.

Bye,
   Axel.