[openbeos] Re: scheduler/reminder

  • From: "Jonas Sundstrom" <kirilla@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2003 11:39:14 +0200 CEST

"Ben Allen" <Ben_Allen@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > there should be a GUI front-end for every Terminal service.
> > I like it the hard way too...
>
> Has anyone out there written a GUI for a termianl app
> (for example: TrackerGrep)?

ZipOMatic (zip) - Be, myself
BeGet (wget) - Atsushi Takamatsu
TrackerGrep of course.
Squeezer (various) - Massimiliano Origgi
Expander (various) - Be

There must be more, but I can't think of any at the moment.

My ZooKeeper doesn't provide a GUI, but it does provide
a BApplication starter front-end to scripts or CLI apps.
(for running CLI stuff on files in Tracker)

>  Would this be the kind of thing that some average-level
> coders could tackle, or is it harder than it might at first seem?

(What's an average-level coder?)

A non-interactive daemon shouldn't be too hard to make some kind of
GUI for. Perhaps a Deskbar icon that takes care of starting/stopping
it,
provides a preferences window and a succinct menu of actions you can
perform on the daemon.

Interactive terminal apps are harder to build a GUI for,
with possibly complex input/output situations to worry about.
BeGet is the only BeOS example I know of, and from what
I've heard (not recently though) it doesn't work all that well,
crashing too often.

Hard or not, I don't know, but you need to know your way around both
the old C / Unix ways and those of BeOS. (conflicting paradigms?)
It's not like throwing something together in a Visual tool.

/Jonas Sundström.                             www.kirilla.com