[openbeos] Re: scheduler/reminder

  • From: "Michael Phipps" <mphipps1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2003 11:49:39 -0400

If you have an interest in a scheduler type of thing...
Check out the editorial that I wrote early on about Clippy.
The gist of it is that I personally (and I think that many others) would value
a program with some quasi-AI skills...
It could remind you of events.
It could watch the news (through an RSS feed) and using a Bayesian filter type
algorithm maybe crossed with a Tivo thumbs up/down, it could judge better next
time what news you care about.
If you give it a topic, it could do searches for you and hold the results - a
Tivo for web surfing.
It could hold a "things to buy" list for you.
It could monitor various things on your system (hd space, memory, etc) and warn
you about relevant changes. Again - thumbs up/down for if you want to hear
about this again...

I am sure that you can see the trend, here. Something along the same mindset as
Watson (IIRC) on the Mac - the app that puts a nicer face on certain websites.

Anyway. BGA has this absolutely right - this is not an R1 thing, at the very
least.
I would not be opposed to discussing making an API for scheduling events for
R2+. Cron would use it (or maybe we would use crond) as could a GUI or others.
Maybe it is a bad idea. Haven't thought it through. That would belong on the GE
list, though.