[openbeos] Re: scheduler/reminder

  • From: "Scott MacMaster" <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2003 22:37:38 -0400

> One of the most shining examples of interface obfuscation can be found
> in Windows.  For example, there are generally several ways to get at
> things and carry out tasks.  Keyboard shortcut (often more than one per
> 'ctrl-this', 'alt-that', 'shift-ctrl-something-else'), mousing, or via
> a contextual menu of some sort.  The age-old "there are twenty
> different ways to do things!" has been a common gripe about windows for
> a long time.

Gripe?  This must be the first time I've heard a complaint about this.
Having multiples ways to do things is generally a good thing.  Most
applications provide three methods.  One is to select a task from a menu
(which should have all available tasks).  Second is two have a toolbar for
the most common options.  Third, is too have keyboard shortcuts.

Of course, the toolbar is probably the most questionable method because
they're sometimes designed poorly.  Example, the favorites toolbar buttons
in IE which mirrors the favorites menu.

My biggest complaint I have with Be (aside from the common ones such as lack
of drivers) is that many apps don't provide multiples methods for performing
tasks.  Primarily, it has poor support for keyboard commans.

> Second, let's pick on Word for this one.  In its default configuration
> a lot of the useful menu options are hidden by default unless one
> selects "Advanced Menus" from a dialog sheet buried three-odd levels
> deep without a clear path to get to these so-called "advanced
> properties."  Don't even get me started on the toolbars.

I agree, changing menus are a big no-no.

> Finally, have you seen the newest-n-greatest feature of Longhorn
> (http://www.winsupersite.com/)?  It's called the "sidebar."  It eats up
> even more precious screen real-estate, it is always present, and it
> does *everything*: plays movies, holds shortcuts (in addition to the
> ones in the start menu and on the desktop), has a clock (in addition to
> the one in the taskbar), shows static pictures and slide shows, has a
> search feature (in addition to the one in the start menu and the one in
> explorer and the one that you get when you right click), takes certain
> options out of the start menu and places said options in the sidebar
> thereby further diluting the start menu's role, et cetera.  That, my
> friends, is confusion and obfuscation in the extreme.

Also, what's up with some of the windows having their title in the center
rather then left aligned?

Scott MacMaster

---