[openbeos] Re: resource files, application signatures, and icons

  • From: "Jonas Sundstrom" <kirilla@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2002 10:46:12 CEST (+0200)

"shatty" <shatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Use the appname.rsrc convention for naming your
> resource file.  hint: add .rsrc to the "Resource file"
> in FileTypes to get these to identify properly in tracker.
> (no, it's not there by default, believe it or not.)
>
> examples:
> Styled Edit: StyledEdit.rsrc
> Also, as Francois brought up, some sort of text based
> resource creation files would be really great.

We need a textbased filetype build file as well.

I usually roll my eyes at any suggestions to use XML
for all and everything, but perhaps this is a suitable
case for it?   Would it be overkill?

I don't know about resources, but for filetype database
entries we could simply go with a bunch of setmime
Bash scripts. The whole lot being built by Jam?
(not sure how it all fits together)

Perhaps its time to scrap the zero-kb, all-attribute mime files,
(none of them is indexed anyway, I think)
and put it all in the file. That way we don't waste filesystem
performance, once the icons go to 128x128 or a
vector-based format. (When the attributes spill over
into another inode, there's a small(?) performance hit.)

If the mime database used regular files instead, we could
go with a text-based format, having it work with CVS,
and having the CVS version of it -be- the mime database,
shaving some time off the build process.

IMO, someone needs to be the "team leader" of the filetype
database, to spearhead the quest for perfection in
file format recognition and support.

/Jonas Sundstrom.         ~ www.kirilla.com ~