[openbeos] resource files, application signatures, and icons

  • From: "shatty" <shatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 22:09:30 PDT

Hello,

I noticed that among the various apps checked into cvs, some have
resource files supplied with them.  I noticed that these resource files
are sometimes named <appname>.rsrc and sometimes are named <appname>
.FileTypes.rsrc.  Perhaps we should pick a convention and stick to it.
(The majority seem to use the <appname>.rsrc convention.)

As some familiar with resources may know, it's important that the
application signature in the resource match the string in the
constructor for BApplication.  For application signatures I have seen
some different conventions in use as well.  Here are some examples:

1. application/x-vnd.OBOS.Dial-UpNetworking
2. application/x-vnd.obos.pdfwriter
3. application/x-vnd.obos-stylededit
4. application/x-vnd.Be-PULS

Again, we should probably pick a convention.  Strictly speaking we
would have to use the identical ones to BeOS where applicable, so that
applications could "properly" use the Roster to launch OBOS
applications.  I want to use something with OBOS in it but perhaps we
don't have a choice.

Lastly, we are currently using the Be icons in the cvs resources.  I
don't know if someone from the creative team has already come up with
new icons for Clock, Magnify, Pulse, StyledEdit, the print_server,
etc., but perhaps they could change the resource files to reflect the
new icons and we could start trying them out!

Andrew