[openbeos] Re: resource files, application signatures, and icons

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 15:56:20 CEST (+0200)

Ingo Weinhold <bonefish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > But I think we should also consider dropping beres/deres
> > compatibility
> > and go the XML route, even with a built-in XML parser, i.e. expat
> > (almost free license), or rxp (GPL) - at least that should be the
> > easiest and fastest way.
> I'm very sceptical about XML for human-editable files. It's
> definitely
> great for ones produced and read by machines, but ugly for humans.
> For a
> good article on that topic read
>   http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/library/x-sbxml.html
>
> If we had a tool for editing these files, things were different of
> course...

That's what I intended to have - FileTypes to edit the MIME type
database, and a QuickRes replacement (or even that one at first) to
edit the resources.

The tool should be able to create a XML/whatever file out of a resource
/attribute/flattened BMessage, to back. Much like "mar", http://
www.bebits.com/app/1211 but much more advanced than this tool.

BTW I would not want to create the current beres/deres style resource
files manually either, if avoidable (which it is) :-)

> [...]
> > Perhaps it would be easier to have an icon set, that can be applied
> > the MIME type database, if needed.
> This would definitely be easier. No changes needed to be done to the
> implementation, just a loop iterating over the types and invoking
> BMimeType::SetIcon() is needed.
>
> And one had to copy the original icons anyway, for they are not read-
> only.
> Although one may find it desirable to modify the original icon sets?

Could be :-)
Whatever is responsible for those "themes" should have the possibility
to save the current icon settings.

Adios...
   Axel.