[openbeos] Re: resource files, application signatures, and icons

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 15:17:15 CEST (+0200)

"shatty" <shatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I noticed that among the various apps checked into cvs, some have
> resource files supplied with them.  I noticed that these resource
> files
> are sometimes named <appname>.rsrc and sometimes are named <appname>
> .FileTypes.rsrc.  Perhaps we should pick a convention and stick to
> it.
> (The majority seem to use the <appname>.rsrc convention.)

Good point, consistency would be nice. Since the resource files itself
don't have anything to do with the FileType application (it just saves
some data there), I would stick to the .rsrc suffix.
At one point in the future, we will have to clean up our repository
anyway (for consistency, coding style, naming issues, license premises
etc.), so there is no need to hurry, but new commits should follow the
same convention.

> 1. application/x-vnd.OBOS.Dial-UpNetworking
> 2. application/x-vnd.obos.pdfwriter
> 3. application/x-vnd.obos-stylededit
> 4. application/x-vnd.Be-PULS
>
> Again, we should probably pick a convention.  Strictly speaking we
> would have to use the identical ones to BeOS where applicable, so
> that
> applications could "properly" use the Roster to launch OBOS
> applications.  I want to use something with OBOS in it but perhaps we
> don't have a choice.

Also a good point, and there is a convention on how to use those MIME
types, but as the other Andrew already mentioned, we may have to change
this in the future again. For some types, it might be a good idea to
use the same signature, but that's only for a few ones, since an
application should always use the MIME database information on which
app to start (not a fixed signature) when possible.

Adios...
   Axel.