[openbeos] Re: resource files, application signatures, and icons

  • From: François Revol <revol@xxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 23:39:14 +0200 (MEST)

En réponse à beos@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:

> >What I would urge people to do is use
> "application/x-vnd.OBOS.ApplicationName
>
> >Thats, use OBOS (we can replace that easy enough!) period Name (with
> leading caps).
>
> Agreed. This looks neat and easy to correct later.

though I still think some should stay with the Be Inc sig (obviously
application/x-vnd.Be-TRAK, and application/x-vnd.Be-TSKB, but there are
others, even though we typically use hey with the app name, not the sig.

More about resources, some apps like Pe or SumIt generate resource files
entirely from text files (via custom apps, but there are mwbres, mwdres,
but I don't know how to use them).
Though this clutters some more the tree, it ahs the advantage of including
the resource in the CVS versionning process, instead of treating them just
as binary files. (and later this would help switch names in app signatures,
as it would only consist of doing a sed on some files (after a
find . -name \*.appsig.res or something).

Would someone be willing to check what could be done in this area ?

François.