[openbeos] Re: resource files, application signatures, and icons

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2002 02:40:56 CEST (+0200)

Andrew Edward McCall <mccall@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > Agreed. This looks neat and easy to correct later.
> > though I still think some should stay with the Be Inc sig
> > (obviously
> We will *NOT* be using the Be* name for any part of the project.
>
> This has already been decided, keeping it opens up the major code
> contributers, and Michael Phipps to very large court cases, and runs
> the risk
> of having C&D served to the project for distribution of the code
> meaning all
> our work is out of our hands.....

Don't mix that - we will use the whole Be API (with all those B
prefixes), and also MIME types can't be reserved or something. In some
cases we have to use the signature (i.e. for Tracker, but that wouldn't
be a problem anyway) - it's not a legal problem.
But I agree that we shouldn't use the Be sigs for the stuff where there
is no need to do so (which should be most of the cases).

> ....which may happen anyway as we are using the BeAPI (which is also
> copyright, but we seem to be ignoring that for the time being!).

No, it's legal to copy APIs. Or else WINE would have a real problem.
You can't protect APIs you can just protect their implementation.

Adios...
   Axel.