[openbeos] Re: resource files, application signatures, and icons

  • From: "Alexander G. M. Smith" <agmsmith@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 13:14:55 EDT (-0400)

Jonas Sundstrom wrote:
> "shatty" <shatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > 1. application/x-vnd.OBOS.Dial-UpNetworking
> > 2. application/x-vnd.obos.pdfwriter
> > 3. application/x-vnd.obos-stylededit
> > 4. application/x-vnd.Be-PULS
>
> (NetPositive:  application/x-vnd.Be-NPOS)
>
> I'd vote for (3), with '-' and all lowercase.
>
> Even though MIME's are supposed to be case-insensitive
> it's best to stick to all lowercase.

Some of that . vs - confusion is because there were two standards
for BeOS MIME types.  I think the x-vnd.Be- is the older one, and
x-vnd.Be. is the newer one, but I could be wrong.  Dash seems to
be for words-that-are-one-idea and dot seems to separate items.
Though I wonder why they don't use a slash to separate subitems
in MIME strings.

- Alex