[openbeos] Re: resource files, application signatures, and icons

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 13:29:05 CEST (+0200)

Ingo Weinhold <bonefish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Sep 2002, Tyler Dauwalder wrote:
> > Resource files: Having a text based format seems like a better idea
> > than binary if it's not going to take too much time to get one set
> > up,
> > at the very least due to CVS history and ease of browsing/
> > searching.
> So let's use beres for the time being, and implement our own beres in
> the
> not so distant future. Our version would also be able to generate
> attributes instead of just resources. That way we can use it for the
> MIME
> database generation as well.

Although it would be a bit misnamed in this case, I think that's a good
idea, and helps to prevent spending too much time on it.
The grammar already allows for this, you just had to replace "resource"
with "attr", and you're done.
But I think we should also consider dropping beres/deres compatibility
and go the XML route, even with a built-in XML parser, i.e. expat
(almost free license), or rxp (GPL) - at least that should be the
easiest and fastest way.

> [...]
> > Resource/Attribute files => distro database: If we want to build a
> > mime
> > database to include under distro/, my vote is for using the same
> > implementation that the system uses, as it will cut down on the
> > chance
> > that some little oversight will cause things to be stored
> > differently
> > than expected.
> What do you mean by `same implementation that the system uses'?
> system ==
> our MIME system?

I guess using the same implementation to actually write the attributes
to the files; to be consistent with that implementation, and also
account for every change that might be done.
But...

> to rather complicate things. For each attribute you would first have
> analyze what kind of MIME data it is and then call the appropriate
> function, while with a generic approach all data that are found would
> simply be written to attributes (or resources). Both methods are
> equally
> error-prone, I would say. A well documented input file template
> should
> help to reduce the probability of error significantly.

.. I think that's the better solution. Write out a good specification
for the the MIME type attributes, and there shouldn't be any problems.
If someone needs to change this spec, he needs to change both; the text
format, and the implementation - they are tightly tied together.

BTW I was thinking about moving the icons to other files, independent
from the MIME type files, to ease switching to a different icon set,
but it could make synchronization between the two databases a little
nightmare (not sure about it, though).
Perhaps it would be easier to have an icon set, that can be applied to
the MIME type database, if needed.

Adios...
   Axel.