[openbeos] Re: resource files, application signatures, and icons

  • From: Erik Jaesler <erik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 15:54:25 -0700

Andrew Edward McCall wrote:

though I still think some should stay with the Be Inc sig (obviously

We will *NOT* be using the Be* name for any part of the project.

....which may happen anyway as we are using the BeAPI (which is also copyright, but we seem to be ignoring that for the time being!).

We are covered under interoperability clauses on *both* counts, just as we are for a certain amount of reverse engineering (how much? Hopefully we'll never be in a position to find out). Ironically, what we name the OS is far more risky, legally, than using the API or using the Be, Inc. MIME signatures for applications. There is no real legal reason to change the signatures, so we may as well hang on to them -- for interoperability's sake, of course. =)