[openbeos] Re: resource files, application signatures, and icons

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <bonefish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 15:36:39 +0200 (MET DST)

On Mon, 30 Sep 2002, Axel =?iso-8859-1?q?D=F6rfler ?= wrote:

> Ingo Weinhold <bonefish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Mon, 30 Sep 2002, Tyler Dauwalder wrote:
> > > Resource files: Having a text based format seems like a better idea
> > > than binary if it's not going to take too much time to get one set
> > > up,
> > > at the very least due to CVS history and ease of browsing/
> > > searching.
> > So let's use beres for the time being, and implement our own beres in
> > the
> > not so distant future. Our version would also be able to generate
> > attributes instead of just resources. That way we can use it for the
> > MIME
> > database generation as well.
>
> Although it would be a bit misnamed in this case, I think that's a good
> idea, and helps to prevent spending too much time on it.
> The grammar already allows for this, you just had to replace "resource"
> with "attr", and you're done.
> But I think we should also consider dropping beres/deres compatibility
> and go the XML route, even with a built-in XML parser, i.e. expat
> (almost free license), or rxp (GPL) - at least that should be the
> easiest and fastest way.

I'm very sceptical about XML for human-editable files. It's definitely
great for ones produced and read by machines, but ugly for humans. For a
good article on that topic read
  http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/library/x-sbxml.html

If we had a tool for editing these files, things were different of
course...

[...]
> BTW I was thinking about moving the icons to other files, independent
> from the MIME type files, to ease switching to a different icon set,
> but it could make synchronization between the two databases a little
> nightmare (not sure about it, though).

I think, it wouldn't be too difficult, if the same entity (the registrar)
would manage both databases. Instead of the attributes the files from the
icon database had to be used for reading/writing the icons.

> Perhaps it would be easier to have an icon set, that can be applied to
> the MIME type database, if needed.

This would definitely be easier. No changes needed to be done to the
implementation, just a loop iterating over the types and invoking
BMimeType::SetIcon() is needed.

And one had to copy the original icons anyway, for they are not read-only.
Although one may find it desirable to modify the original icon sets?

CU, Ingo