[openbeos] Re: resource files, application signatures, and icons

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <bonefish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 17:07:46 +0200 (MET DST)

On Mon, 30 Sep 2002, Axel =?iso-8859-1?q?D=F6rfler ?= wrote:

> Ingo Weinhold <bonefish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > But I think we should also consider dropping beres/deres
> > > compatibility
> > > and go the XML route, even with a built-in XML parser, i.e. expat
> > > (almost free license), or rxp (GPL) - at least that should be the
> > > easiest and fastest way.
> > I'm very sceptical about XML for human-editable files. It's
> > definitely
> > great for ones produced and read by machines, but ugly for humans.
> > For a
> > good article on that topic read
> >   http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/library/x-sbxml.html
> >
> > If we had a tool for editing these files, things were different of
> > course...
>
> That's what I intended to have - FileTypes to edit the MIME type
> database, and a QuickRes replacement (or even that one at first) to
> edit the resources.
>
> The tool should be able to create a XML/whatever file out of a resource
> /attribute/flattened BMessage, to back. Much like "mar", http://
> www.bebits.com/app/1211 but much more advanced than this tool.

OK, just to make sure, that I understand you correctly. When you want to
add resources to an application being part of the OBOS build, you launch
the QuickRes replacement, create new resources, save them to an XML
file and tell the build system, that said file contains the resources for
your application. When building the resources tool is invoked in command
line mode to convert the XML file into a resources file which is finally
added to the application.

For the MIME database the process is similar: With FileTypes (actually I
would find it a bit confusing to use FileTypes, as it edits the running
system's MIME database) you create an XML file per MIME type to be
contained in the database and, when building, the tool converts them into
the standard attribute-only format.

Correct?

> BTW I would not want to create the current beres/deres style resource
> files manually either, if avoidable (which it is) :-)

I haven't worked with these tools yet, but from quick glances on such
resource files, I have to agree, that the format seems to have some
potential for improvement. :-P

However, the situation is, that we currently have two formats for
resources: binary resource files and the textual beres format. The former
is the one that is used in the build. The latter is the only textual
alternative for now,  which I've, BTW, been asked to add build system
support for. I'm absolutely unemotional concerning the matter and would
also be happy with a yet-to-be-designed XML format. Nevertheless it would
be nice, if we could decide for with which one want to go in the near
future. E.g. if XML makes the race, it wouldn't make much sense to add
support for beres files now.

CU, Ingo