[openbeos] Re: resource files, application signatures, and icons

  • From: "Nathan Whitehorn" <nathan.whitehorn@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 21:31:44 EDT (-0400)

> "shatty" <shatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > 1. application/x-vnd.OBOS.Dial-UpNetworking
> > 2. application/x-vnd.obos.pdfwriter
> > 3. application/x-vnd.obos-stylededit
> > 4. application/x-vnd.Be-PULS
>
> (NetPositive:  application/x-vnd.Be-NPOS)
>
> I'd vote for (3), with '-' and all lowercase.
>
> Even though MIME's are supposed to be case-insensitive
> it's best to stick to all lowercase.

This naming convention is left over from DR8 and earlier, when
application sigs were four-letter codes (like the MacOS). Be was just
lazy and appended the four-letter codes to "application/x-vnd.Be-". Do
we really want to perpetuate this kind of uninformative cruft?
-Nathan

--
Fortune Cookie Says:

One monk said to the other, "The fish has flopped out of the net! How
will it live?"  The other said, "When you have gotten out of the net,
I'll tell you."