[openbeos] Re: resource files, application signatures, and icons

  • From: Andrew Edward McCall <mccall@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 12:44:18 +0000

On Friday 27 September 2002 05:09, you wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I noticed that among the various apps checked into cvs, some have
> resource files supplied with them.  I noticed that these resource files
> are sometimes named <appname>.rsrc and sometimes are named <appname>
> .FileTypes.rsrc.  Perhaps we should pick a convention and stick to it.
> (The majority seem to use the <appname>.rsrc convention.)

Yeah, Be themselves tended to ship their sample code with "rsrc" so I propose
we stick with that.

> As some familiar with resources may know, it's important that the
> application signature in the resource match the string in the
> constructor for BApplication.  For application signatures I have seen
> some different conventions in use as well.  Here are some examples:
>
> 1. application/x-vnd.OBOS.Dial-UpNetworking
> 2. application/x-vnd.obos.pdfwriter
> 3. application/x-vnd.obos-stylededit
> 4. application/x-vnd.Be-PULS

Agreed 100%, but right now its not that important.

If we choose OBOS, we may need to change them all if/when we get a name
change.

What I would urge people to do is use "application/x-vnd.OBOS.ApplicationName

Thats, use OBOS (we can replace that easy enough!) period Name (with leading
caps).

Leave the decision on this one open until we are 100% on the name of the OS.

Andrew.