[openbeos] Re: resource files, application signatures, and icons

  • From: "Jonas Sundstrom" <kirilla@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2002 03:50:28 CEST (+0200)

"Nathan Whitehorn" <nathan.whitehorn@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > "shatty" <shatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > 1. application/x-vnd.OBOS.Dial-UpNetworking
> > > 2. application/x-vnd.obos.pdfwriter
> > > 3. application/x-vnd.obos-stylededit
> > > 4. application/x-vnd.Be-PULS
> >
> > (NetPositive:  application/x-vnd.Be-NPOS)
> >
> > I'd vote for (3), with '-' and all lowercase.
> >
> > Even though MIME's are supposed to be case-insensitive
> > it's best to stick to all lowercase.
>
> This naming convention is left over from DR8 and earlier, when
> application sigs were four-letter codes (like the MacOS). Be was just
> lazy and appended the four-letter codes to "application/x-vnd.Be-".
> Do
> we really want to perpetuate this kind of uninformative cruft?

Of course not. The Net+ app sig is a bad example in this regard.
I meant to illustrate the dashes and dots, not the entire app sig.

I am aware of the roots of this malpractice, but it's good
that you mention it, as it's so obvious to me that I'm blind to it. :]

IMO, the perfect app sig, given current practice, should be:
application/x-vnd.osname-appname

and for 3'rd party apps:
application/x-vnd.vendorname-appname

Initial caps would still work, since MIME sigs by design and
implementation
are/should be case-insensitive, but it's better to keep it all-
lowercase,
just to be on the safe side.

/Jonas Sundstrom. ~ www.kirilla.com ~