[openbeos] Re: resource files, application signatures, and icons

  • From: "shatty" <shatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 13:51:25 -0700

For the interested I checked in some example resource definition
files for StyledEdit. (*.rdef in the StyledEdit dir)
I used these with beres to generate the resource for StyledEdit.
Reading through them will highlight the problems with the format.
Mostly I don't have a problem with it but the restriction for
length is annoying. (this only comes up with setversion)
I would recommend we just use a jam SetVersion rule except that it
doesn't seem very nice to have to change the jamfile to update the
version.  Also I split it into three rdefs, one for general app
info, one for icons, and one for version info.  I did this because
the icons are ugly in rdef format. (well not that bad really :-) )
And although the application information in general should remain
static, the version may change frequently.

Andrew