[haiku] Re: [GSoC]: who is willing to mentor this year?

  • From: Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 14:24:03 -0400

On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 1:28 PM, François Vincent <batuque@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I don't want to be rude, or offend someone, neither to start a war for
> nothing. I'm just saying things could be more clear if we are honest
> with each other.

"Real life issues" or similar words are just a euphemism for "right
now subject X is not important enough to me to spend time on it." If
it was really important that person would find time for it. Though I
will admit sometimes life (work, home, finances, relationships) can
get pretty hectic, and the first thing to go is optional things like
hobbies. Working on Haiku is a hobby activity for most people I think.

So I don't think Bryan was being dishonest in saying he had real life
issues. At some point he decided that working on the Haiku OpenJDK
port was just not worth his time. His time is his to use as he
pleases, though I do think his mistake was setting the wrong
expectations when he was first talking about working on the OpenJDK
port. But we have all been guilty of that at times.

Either way, things change, and I don't think it is fair to force or
guilt people into working on things for free that they are not
interested in anymore. If life on Mac OS X makes Bryan happy, great
for him. Fortunately there are plenty of us here who don't share that
love of Mac OS X, or Windows, or Linux, or whatever other OS seems to
fill other people's needs. Maybe to some people we are "wasting our
time", but again, our time is ours to "waste" if we want.

Regards,
Ryan