[haiku] Re: [GSoC]: who is willing to mentor this year?

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 23:52:36 +0100 CET

Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 5:35 AM, Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > wrote:
> > Just a few remarks about the idea page:
> > * "Identify and fix performance bottlenecks in our app_server" is
> > probably not a good task for a student, besides, it's fast enough
> > for
> > me :-) Maybe something like "Implement hardware cursor support in
> > the
> > app_server" would be a better project.
> Is the latter even complicated enough for a GSoC project?

Well, at least I looked at it several times in the past, and didn't do
it then. Not sure if it's really complicated, but it's more involved
that one would think.

> > * "Help with the CUPS port", is not a good project either. AFAIK
> > Ithamar is not really working on this anymore, so "Do the CUPS
> > port"
> > would be better, I think.
> I wonder if we should just remove the CUPS port as I think it may be
> too complex.
>
> I also think we should remove tasks that other students could not
> complete before, with the exception of Zeroconf, in which the student
> just did not have the time to work on.

Yeah, sounds good.

> Specifically: "Implement ICMP
> error handling and propagation". Though wasn't some progress made on
> this last year?

There was some progress being made on that last year. But the student
did not really spend enough time on the matter, and that was the actual
problem, as most of the time. Maybe it sounds too easy, and then turns
out to be more work than anticipated.

Bye,
   Axel.