[haiku] Re: [GSoC]: who is willing to mentor this year?

  • From: Matt Madia <mattmadia@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2009 11:52:50 -0400

On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 10:58 AM, Oliver Ruiz Dorantes
<oliver.ruiz.dorantes@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I'm willing to help out,  but as their questions become more c/c++
>> specific my use quickly diminishes.
>

> In any case helping students with the setup of the environment, and first
> touch with the OS, is something that does not require c/C++ and would unload
> another mentor's workload....

This I feel confident helping with.
Should people willing to do this be listed as 'backup mentors' or
should we include some statement in the application to the tune of :
"To increase response time, we are employing assistant mentors.  Their
job is to assist students with non-project specific issues, which
includes  general building, compilation, and development environment."

On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 11:39 AM, Salvatore Benedetto <emitrax@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> We had both in the last two years, and you can see how it ended up. Going
> public
> doesn't ncessarily mean you have to follow the discussion. It only
> means, that if you
> want, you can either follow and/or help.

I agree. The lack of transparency was an issue last year.

What about agreeing to include a subject header to indicate the email
is intended for anyone to read?
That would allow students and mentors to use a mail filter to identify
such emails.